BBC Studios Events – A Masterclass in Major Events Broadcasts and Production with Claire Popplewell and Team
June of 2022 saw Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II become the first British Monarch to celebrate a Platinum Jubilee. The BBC marked the momentous occasion with 15 hours of live programming across four days. The weekend was a joyous appointment to view with a reach of 28.5m – 47% of the population.
Only months later, viewers returned in their millions to watch The State Funeral of Queen Elizabeth II, followed by the Coronation of HM King Charles III.
At the heart of bringing the nation together in celebration and commemoration was Claire Popplewell and her multi-award winning BBC Studios Events Productions team – renowned for their ‘flawless’ editorial, craft and production management.
For most, bringing just one of these high profile events to screens would feel insurmountable. For Claire and her team, it was both years and (in some cases) mere days in the making.
Join us as we talk military procession and precision, poignancy and pageantry – lifting the lid on a historic and career defining 11 months.
Kirsty Young - acclaimed broadcaster who made a welcome return to television screens to anchor four days of coverage for the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee.
- Claire Popplewell CVO – Creative Director, BBC Studios Events Productions
- Sangeeta Bhaskar – Executive Producer for Trooping the Colour, The State Funeral of HM Queen Elizabeth II (Westminster Abbey) and The Coronation of HM King Charles III.
- Chris Stent – Line Producer for The Coronation Concert
- Simon Staffurth – Director for Trooping the Colour and The Platinum Pageant across the Jubilee weekend, alongside The State Funeral of HM Queen Elizabeth II (Buckingham Palace) and The Coronation of HM King Charles III (Westminster Abbey).
- Nigel Catmur – Lighting Director on The Platinum Party at the Palace, The State Funeral of HM Queen Elizabeth II (Westminster Abbey) and The Coronation Concert, including ‘Lighting up the Nation
Tickets for RTS members are free but must be booked in advance (please input your membership number when booking). If you do not know your membership number, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Tickets for non-members are £15.
Tickets are non-refundable.