The Royal Television Society (RTS) today launched its 2017 Programme Awards for the Northern Ireland creative industries.
The RTS has partnered with BBC Northern Ireland, Northern Ireland Screen, Channel 4 and UTV for these prestigious awards. The winners will be announced at an exciting ceremony in The MAC as part of Belfast Media Festival, this November.
Steve Carson, Chair of RTS NI said:
“The RTS NI Awards are fast becoming the most respected and sought after creative industry awards in Northern Ireland. This is the third year of these awards and we are delighted that entries are increasing every year, highlighting the exceptional talent now available in Northern Ireland. As an educational charity these awards help the RTS to raise awareness of the growing success and innovation of the creative industries in Northern Ireland.
“2017 will see three new categories for gaming, original music score and a new factual sub-category to reflect the strength of this vibrant growth sector of our economy.
Sarah McCaffrey, RTS NI Awards Committee Chair said:
“With exceptional production, world class facilities and talent, Northern Ireland is fast becoming the location of choice for international film and television companies. These Awards recognise fresh and innovative content spanning all genres of television programming by celebrating the achievements of the local industry and showcasing the best talent from Northern Ireland.”
Applications for entries to this year’s Awards are available from today (Monday 14th August) until Friday 8th September, 2017. To qualify for entry, submissions must have been aired between 2 August 2016 and 1 August 2017 by individuals, broadcasters or companies based in or working in Northern Ireland. Further details can be found on https://rts.org.uk/region/northern-ireland/awards
The 2017 Award categories are:
- Comedy and Entertainment
- Factual Entertainment and / or Features
- Specialist Factual
- Current Affairs
- News Coverage
- Children’s and / or Animation
- Interactive Entertainment
- Original Music Score
- Judges’ Award
The RTS Judges Award recognises an outstanding, long-term contribution to the industry by an individual or company.
Judging in each category will be carried out independently by an experienced internal jury with winners being announced at the special awards ceremony at the MAC, Belfast on Thursday 16th November.
2016 winners listed below:
- Comedy and Entertainment – The Commute – Waddell Media for BBC One NI
- Factual Series - Find me a Family – Erica Starling Productions for BBC One NI
- Factual Single Award - Patrick Kielty’s Mulholland Drive – Green Inc Film and Television for BBC One NI
- Current Affairs - Dispatches - Kids in Crisis – Erica Starling Productions for Channel 4
- News Coverage- UTV Live at 6: EU Referendum Result
- Drama – The Secret starring Jimmy Nesbitt – Hat Trick Productions for ITV
- Children’s and / or Animation - Lily’s Driftwood Bay – Sixteen South for RTE and Channel 5
- Judges’ Award—Green Inc Film and Television Managing Director Stephen Stewart
- International Production – Sports Personality of the year – BBC Sport