Typical jobs for a costume designer, whether in drama, factual or live entertainment are the following:
- Researching, designing and creating costumes in keeping with the show’s setting (e.g. authentic costume for period drama)
- Acquiring and hiring costumes from outside sources
- Managing a team of skilled personnel
- Supervising departmental budgets and schedules
- Organising wardrobes for efficient dressing of cast
- Ensuring costume continuity
You will need to have excellent design skills, be organised and work to a budget. It’s important to have a friendly manner and be sensitive to actor’s needs when dressing them.
Many costume designers have a university qualification in costume design or fashion and start as a wardrobe assistant or costume maker. You could also get into this job through an Advanced Apprenticeship.