RTS Midlands Awards 2017
AWARD CATEGORIES 2017
1.Best Promotional Programme
This Award recognises production excellence and creativity in programmes intended either for general or specialised audiences made for corporate purposes to promote products or services.
They may have promotional, public information, training, educational, entertainment, special interest or other purposes and can be broadcast on any platform.
2. Fictional Programme of the Year
Entries to this category can include:
Fictional Programme of the Year has been sponsored by the University of Wolverhampton
3. Acting Performance of the Year
This Award recognises an outstanding acting performance. Entrants should be based in the Midlands or feature in content produced in the Midlands.
4. Midlands On Screen Personality 2017
This Award recognises an outstanding on-screen personality featured within a Midland based production broadcast on any platform
- The subject covered by the personality will not be judged. It will be the individual’s delivery and on screen relationship with the viewer that will be considered.
- Dramatic characterisations are not eligible (see Category titled Acting Performance of the Year).
- Entries should be up to 15 minutes in length and should include a minimum of three examples of work.
Midlands On Screen Personality 2017 has been sponsored by Be Inspired Films
5. Broadcast Journalist of the Year
The Broadcast Journalist of the Year Award is for the best work during the year by an on-screen journalist. Reporters, video journalists and correspondents are welcome to enter, they can be specialists or in general news reporting. Open to news organisations, agencies, websites or production companies. Entries should be up to 30 minutes in length with no internal edits and should include a minimum of three items to demonstrate the range of the journalist.
Broadcast Journalist of the Year has been sponsored by the University of Wolverhampton
6. Excellence in Digital Content
This Award recognises innovation and outstanding achievement in multi-platform digital content including:
On screen graphics
7. News Programme of the Year
The Award for Best News programme will be awarded based on quality of coverage, presentation and information in the following:
Live and Studio news
This can be 1 programme or a compilation. If the entry is a compilation it should be edited appropriately for broadcast.
News Programme of the Year has been sponsored by
8. Best Current Affairs Feature
This Award will be presented to an outstanding current affairs feature made by a Midlands based correspondent, and may include content from national or network programming.
Individual features made by Midlands based correspondents.
On Line features
9. Outstanding New Talent 2017
This Award recognises the very best of the new talent from the broadcast, digital and online community across the region and includes:
Front of camera (presenters/actors)
Entries should be up to 15 minutes in length and should include a minimum of two items to demonstrate the talent.
Outstanding New Talent 2017 has been sponsored by the University of Worcester
10. Factual Programme of the Year
This Award recognises excellence in the production of factual content and may include the following:
11. Excellence in Production Craft Skills
This Award recognises achievement behind the camera and includes the following:
Musical content to include incidental music
- Visual effects
12. The Diversity Award
The Diversity Award is for the individual journalist or team which has shown particular expertise and produced outstanding coverage of a diversity issue or event during the year. It will recognise the best journalism in all forms of diversity. The jury has defined diversity as stories about race, gender, disability, age, sexual orientation, religion and social class. Emphasis will be placed on entries which have demonstrated expertise and understanding through a continuing narrative, with analysis and context, over a period of time and/or the reporting a single event.
This is open to news organisations, agencies, websites or production companies. Entries should be up to 30 minutes. Entries must be separately identifiable extracts, with no internal edits. This can include drama and factual content.
The Diversity Award 2017 is sponsored by Film Birmingham
ENTRY INFORMATION – PLEASE READ CAREFULLY
You are invited to submit programmes or other content which were, or will be broadcast and/or published between 1st July 2016 to 30th June 2017 for consideration for the Midlands Centre Awards for 2017.
Programmes or content must have been produced, published, commissioned or creatively controlled by a Midlands based company or must be at least principally shot in the Midlands (60 per cent) and/or principally produced in the Midlands.
Midlands Region for the purposes of these Awards includes: Derbyshire, Gloucestershire, Herefordshire, Leicestershire, Northamptonshire, Nottinghamshire, Oxfordshire, Shropshire, Staffordshire, Warwickshire, West Midlands and Worcestershire.
The entry must have been first broadcast, released or published on a media platform between 1/7/16 and 30/6/17
You may enter your work whether or not you are a member of the RTS.
- Entries must be submitted online by following this link: https://awardsentry.rts.org.uk/entrant
You will need to register as a user in order to submit your entries.
Once you have registered you will need to Create Entry. In this section you can upload any relevant documentation that you would like the judges to consider.
To upload your video go to the Video Management tab
Please ensure when submitting your entry online that you complete all of the relevant boxes for each entry.
Please attached any supporting documentation that you would like the judges to consider to the submission when prompted
When submitting your entry make sure you choose to create your entry for RTS. MIDLANDS AWARDS as other centres awards will also be listed here.
- A 30 second clip of each entry must be submitted with your entries (not instead of your entry)
- If your entry is nominated, this clip will be used as part of the presentation at the awards dinner, so please ensure it showcases your entry effectively.
- If you are entering the same piece of work into more than one category, please ensure you submit a different 30 second clip for each entry.
Please ensure you submit your 30 second clip via the Video Management option and clearly mark it as ’30 second clip for <<entry title and category entered>>.
- Please submit this as well as your entries and not instead of the full item.
- 30 second clip requirements:
- 30 second clip with fade from black and fade out to black
- No clocks
- File type MP4 only
- Specify exactly which entry it is for including name of entrant and category
- There is an entry fee of £45 including VAT per category.
- If a programme is entered in one or more categories, a payment is required for each category entered.
- ENTRIES WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED UNLESS FULL PAYMENT HAS BEEN MADE BEFORE THE CLOSING DATE FOR ENTRIES (Continued…)
HOW TO PAY
- Payment for entries can be made in the following ways:
Direct into RTS Midlands Centre bank account:
Sort Code : 60-40-04
Account number : 31867642
Account Name : Royal Television Society Midlands Centre
Please quote your invoice number as the narrative
Cheques made payable to Royal Television Society Midlands Centre and sent with the Remittance Advice at the end of this document to the address given.
Purchase orders should be emailed to RTSMidlands@rts.org.uk
Receipts will be issued on request after payment.
Please note that payment by debit or credit card cannot be accepted.
- The closing date for entries is Friday 14th July 2017. Entries received after this date will not be considered.
- The online submission system will be open for you to submit entries from Monday 8th May 2017.
Each category will be judged by 3 independent Judges.
Judging will take place during August 2017.
The Judges reserve the right to move submissions to more appropriate categories if necessary.
Details of judges will be given in the Awards Ceremony Programme.
If you would like details of the judging process please email RTSMidlands@rts.org.uk.
NOMINEES AND WINNERS
- Nominees will be announced on Monday 11th September 2017.
- You will be advised by email if you have been nominated.
- A full list of nominees will be posted on our website by Friday 15th September.
- Winners will be announced at the Awards Ceremony on 30th November.
TICKETS FOR THE AWARDS DINNER
Tickets for the awards dinner will go on sale on Monday 11th September.
They will be priced at £70 for a single ticket or £650 for a table of 10.
RTS Members can purchase their ticket for £65. If you would like to join the RTS to take advantage of this offer please do so online before you purchase your tickets, the link to become a member is https://rts.org.uk/membership/join-us
RTS Members will receive the discount for their own ticket only.
All prices are including VAT.
- The invite to enter the Student Awards will be issued by RTS Head Office in Summer 2017. Student Awards will be announced at the Awards Ceremony on 30th November. Student Awards are open to anyone over the age of 16 in full-time education.
- For all enquiries relating to the Awards criteria or the judging process please contact Jayne Greene either by phoning 07792 776585 or emailing RTSMidlands@rts.org.uk.
For any technical support relating to the submission process please contact Jamie O’Neill at RTS Head Office 020 7822 2810 or by emailing JO’Neill@rts.org.